Friday, April 24, 2009

Artichoke

I love artichokes!  Yesterday I drove all the way to South Elgin to shop at Caputos.  Large arti's were on sale 2 for 1.09 so guess what I bought.  Yep and I made them for my dinner last night.  As I was making them I remembered the book, "Alone in the kitchen with an eggplant".  It is an anthology of stories about what you eat when your are alone, either by choice or design.  The stories are fun and my arti's were what I was alone with.  Doug had a Union meeting to go to and so I was on my own for dinner.  They are so easy to make!

2 large artichokes trimmed rubbed with lemon 
squeeze 1/2 lemon into large pot of water, enough to cover the artichokes. Throw the lemon in the water!
3 cloves of garlic, smashed, added to water with a splash of olive oil
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Cook about 45 minutes. 
Drain and serve with lemon butter

Squeeze 1/2 lemon into small dish and microwave for 1 minute
Add 1/2 stick of butter in pieces and stir until melted

If you have never eaten artichoke before you just peel the leaves off one at a time and dip the soft end in the butter and scrape off with your teeth. Ummmm.  When you get to the center where the choke is, use a spoon to scrape off the choke and cut the heart into pieces and eat with the left over butter.
I ate one last night with a fresh baguette, sopressata, fontinella cheese and blackberries for desert.  I was in heaven.  And I get to do it all over again for lunch today.  

And I forgot to tell you that I quit smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment