Friday, February 20, 2009

Doctors and French Onion Soup

Well, last summer I half joked with a friend that I was sporting a comb over.   But I noticed a larger and larger forehead.  But also some new growth.  So today I went to the Dr.  I hate getting old.  Male pattern baldness.  I thought it was my cholesterol medicine. But Noooo, I am just going bald.  Then while talking about my hair, I told him about the "hot flashes"  but they're in my feet. At night I wake up and my feet are burning.  So I kick the covers off and I am fine.  Are you ready for this? Restless leg syndrome!  What?  So I am going to have a whole bunch of blood work done for hormones, cholesterol and I forgot what else.  Soon I will be living better through chemical alteration.

So I need some comfort food.  I am slowly browning a whole bunch of onions, garlic, bay leaves and thyme.  The thyme is lemon thyme (from my sister in laws garden) so I know it will taste different.  But its okay.  French onion soup is what I am making because I had a lot of onions and the lemon thyme is what I have. I will add a burgundy that is not top quality but it what I drink and I am skipping the bread at the end.  Oh the horror!  But this is about what I have on hand right now.  I have some boxed broth for the soup but I also have some frozen broth from some Italian beef we had a while ago.  They always give us too much so I freeze the left overs for a time like this.

I am also going to make cheese enchiladas for dinner.  I don't think Doug will eat the soup.  But the enchiladas are a good comfort food also.  This will be the first night Doug and I have had alone since last Saturday.  I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment